Thursday, March 29, 2012

Deborah Lippmann: Candy Shop


Hello everybody!


Here are some nailphotos of Deborah Lippmann's Candy Shop. (And after that, some experimenting with Candy Shop, (so this is a looooong post))










When I bought Candy Shop, I had been waiting for it for a long time. And when it finally was available, the only way to get it was to buy the "Get this party started" set. So I nearly didn't buy it. And my friend said; "Just buy it!", and talked about how important it is to have a hobby, and that many people use a lot of money on other things. I justified it with the fact that Deborah Lippmann is cruelty free. And that I stop myself from buying a lot of beautiful nail polishes, because they are tested on animals. And I didn't have any multicoloured glitter. But afterwards, when I sat in a car, holding the set AND "Across The Universe", I could not believe what I had done. Again, my friend talked me into it. :-) But nail polish gives me a lot of joy! So he is right. :-)



The three bottles in the set are all multicoloured glitters; "Happy Birthday" in a clear base, "Forget You" with black base, and "Candy Shop" in bubblegum pink base. (I used Happy Birthday for nail art in my first blog post: Glitter-illusion-dots , my entry to Chalkboard Nails nail art contest.)



Now, it is possible to buy just the bottle. And I have seen pictures of dupes. I do not know if you see the difference when you compare with my nailphotos. On the pictures taken in sun with blue sky background, you can see that DL's Candy Shop consists of large and small hexagonal multicolored glitter in a "bubble gum pink" (as the color is described on the box) base. (These 2 photos does not show the  pink base so well.)



I must admit that I was a bit disappointed the first time I tried it on. I had expected it to be more like a glitter sandwich. So I put it on my toes (and it looked good for a month). But this week, I put it on my hands again, and have started loving it.

Experimenting:
I had planned to try to put sheer polishes over it after some days, but liked it so much that I kept it as it was, until I got a bit of tip ware. When I tested which polishes would work on top of Candy Shop to make it look more like a "glitter sandwich", I also put a third layer on the nails that I did not cover with other polishes.

Initially, I chose to use 2 coats, because I did not want too much glitter, (and it was opaque because of the colored base). But in my opinion it looked better with three, as you can see on the middle fingers below.

Right hand:










Above, from left to right: (one coat of each) Orly: Rock Candy, Ozotic: 504, DL: Candy Shop, China Glaze: 108 Degrees, +GOSH base/top coat




Left hand: 








I put one coat of the polishes below + topcoat, on top of 2 coats of Candy Shop+ topcoat.



From left to right: OPI: Lucky Lucky Lavender, DL: Candy Shop, OPI: Heart Throb, H&M: Pink Mist







I do not think I will wear Candy Shop with any of these polishes over it. It looked best on its own. But if I had owned jellys (and I do not want to waste my flakies), I would probably be able to make some nice "glitter sandwiches", as I have seen on some blogs the last months.

So what I have learned is that I need jellys/ sorbets, lots of jellys. I want to use them both for glitters and flakies. At least a teal to go with Nfu- Oh 54, and a purple. Or maybe one medium dark purple, and one purple to go with Nfu- Oh 50. Du you have any suggestions?


Taking it off:
As you can see, when you try to remove nail polish with glitter, the glitter ends up at the bottom. Isn't it strange that it even happens when glitter is used as top coat?



By the way, I use the foil- method, then wash with soap and water, and then try to remove stray glitter (from the skin) with nail polish remover on a cotton pad, and rinse with water again, and check if there is glitter by the cuticles.


As mentioned, Deborah Lippmann nail polish is not tested on animals. :-)

You can see Deborah Lippmann's collection here. I am very curious of her new polishes. You can see them on her page. Especially Ray of Light, Sweet Dreams, Sugar Daddy, and Private DancerI am not telling where you can buy Candy Shop, because that is different for every country in the world. But if it seems to be impossible to get where you live, you could try eBay, or look for dupes.

Actually, Michaela from "Nail Polish Anon" has just made a post about a dupe! Here are her thoughts about and photos of the dupe.


Lani



5 comments:

  1. i love your layering experiments! i added a link to this post too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting layering options- thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you like it. I like to play with layering, so there will be more.
      Lani

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you for the positive feedback! :-) It means a lot

      Delete